Salesian College Siliguri Campus
Department of English
One of the oldest Departments of Salesian College firstly affilliated to the University of Calcutta.
Commencement of the Department at Siliguri Campus – 4th July, 20111
Members of Faculty
- Mr. Peter Lepcha
HoD, Campus Co-ordinator Siliguri Campus
- Ms. Priyanka Das
- Ms. Kasturi Gosh
About the Department
Started in 2011, the first Batch of the English Honours students appeared the University Exams in 2011 and 100% of the Students passed the Exam with two 1st Divisions and rest were 2nd Divisions.
Activities Undertaken by the Department
- Intra-College Essay Writing
- Debate Competition
- Vivekananda Day
Plans for near future:
- Departmental Workshop
- Departmental Educational Tour
- Project Work for Part III
- The Department of English is instrumental in suggesting the changes in the Proposed Draft of English Syllabus for revision which is likely to be applicable from this Session.
- The Department of English assists the College Management & other Departments in the matters relating to major and minor publications by providing editorial support from time to time
Sparkle, the annual College Magazine is edited by/in collaboration with the Members of the Faculty of the Department of English.
Facilities provided by the Department
- Books for reference and research related to the curriculum is stacked for the students at the Library.
- Student Friendly Methodology of Teaching, Facilitating & Mentoring.
- Guidance & Counselling facility for all the students by experts.
- Adequate Student –Teacher Ratio to cater to the individual differences of the Students.
- Continuous Evaluation/Assessment support in the form of Formative and Summative Evaluation in keeping with the international standard of evaluation process.
- Co-Curricular Activities to generate interest and decrease fatigue.
- Responsible and Fraternal Feedback System.
Salesian College Siliguri
Departmental Report for 8 to 20 June 2015
Department of English
The Department actively engaged in the process of admission of the new students of the department of English as well as other departments by way of interviewing the students and invigilating the students writing essays for the aptitude assessment test. Since the new professors have joined in the department recently, the senior members of the faculty mentored them and discussed the new assignment that they take up while executing the curriculum of the honours and general degree courses in this academic year.
Classes resumed for the part II and part III students from 15 June and the department organised orientation to the students. General rules, new handbook and calendar usage, planning for the departmental study tour for part III students were discussed in detail. Deechen Lama and Joel Thomas have been appointed the student leaders for the interim committee to plan and execute long study tour. New faculty members viz Ms. Oindrila Moitra Singh and Ms. Swagata Singha Ray were introduced in the Department. English Department Fest will be organised on 29 – 30 September and 1 October. Towards this, the department will keep a meeting in the first week of July when the new-comers will also join the department.
Regular classes were conducted from 17 June. Ms. Swagata Singha Ray substituted one of the classes assigned to Mr. Ayushman Chakraborty who will join from 1 July 2015. The department is making phone call to the parents of those students who are absent for this week. The department plans to organise regular lectures and discussions in coming week also and help in the second phase of admission process.
Department of English 20 June 2015