Creating harmony and understanding in society by promoting translations across languages of the region and beyond.
- To function as a nodal centre for all individuals and institutions wanting to engage in translation work
- To procure financial assistance from different government and non-governmental groups and disseminate the same for the prospective translators
- To identify and bring together twice annually the translation experts to plan projects
- To network with agencies and centres that serve the cause of promoting language and literature in the region and country.
- To organize training seminars and workshops to facilitate and enhance the capability of the resource pool of translators in the region.
- The proposed Translation Centre shall be part of the extension/outreach programme of Salesian College and located in its new premises besides virtually.
- The Centre shall be run by a committee consisting of a Director and a core team of representatives from Management, teaching faculty, experts representing at least two of the major languages of the region.
- The management of finances and its movable and immovable property shall be the responsibility of the College after due consideration of the proposals made by the committee.
- The Committee shall meet at least thrice a year to plan and evaluate the progress of the activities of the centre.
- Office space /Website
- Work station for the fellows/scholars admitted on specific tasks for the duration as shall be specified.
- Internet Facility
- Special assistance for the Other-abled
- Encouraging young scholars and linguists to engage in translation from any Indian or foreign language to the languages of the region – Nepali, Lepcha, Bengali, Urdu, Hindi etc
- Shall provide financial assistance to the translators on terms and conditions that shall be specified by the Centre depending on the availability of resources
- See to the publication of the translated texts directly or with assistance from governmental or non-governmental agencies like Sahitya Akademi, CIIL, UGC etc.
- The annual Report of the centre shall be submitted to the Governing Body of the College and made available on its website.
- Principal, Salesian College
- Dr Jiwan Namdung
- Dr Bhanu Chettri
- Mr P.K. Chettri
- Monika Mukhia
- Milan Tamang
- Tapaswi Rahul Gurung
- Ms Bedika Rai
- Ms Fatima Lepcha
- Mr Terence Mukhia
- Mr. Promod Rasaily
Draft Prepared by
Principal, Salesian College
contact for more details firstname.lastname@example.org